First, there is the air. And I know, that you know exactly what I'm referring to here. About mid-month you will walk out of your front door onto the street, fill your lungs with a deep breath of pseudo-autumn, and quite literally be able to taste fall. All of my senses are heightened this time of year, the drying orange, red, and yellow leaves crackle and rustle as they haven't in a year's time, the sky burns a vibrant spectrum of colors: fire reds, majestic purples, violent blues, and tropical oranges. Even my skin is more sensitive to the changes mother nature takes this time of year. The hairs on my arms prickle with a cool breeze that taunts winter, but the sun is yet to surrender its rays to what is to come.
I am in awe each year as the seasons make this dramatic change. Some say it symbolizes the change from life to death, and I get that. Trees are losing their leaves, animals go into hibernation, rivers, lakes, ponds all freeze. I see the parallel, but I beg to differ. People forget, the trees let their leaves go to preserve valuable nutrients. Animals slumber in order to save their strength, and ponds simply freeze because it is freakin' cold outside, not because anything is dying. If anything, it is a symbol of perseverance and determination, the trees are not dying, they are pushing on. This is not a time of death, nature is just recharging, if you will.
In addition to the inspiring change in weather, there are all kinds of fests, fairs, games, and events this time of year to fill your weekends with excitement and help you rekindle your love affair with Cincinnati. Here are a couple things to look forward to:
** Warning: Since I have suburbaphobia, I don't care about their events (sorry families with 2.5 kids and a 2 car garage) so these events are all taking place downtown**
- Guinness Oyster Fest When: Saturday Sept 4 noon-11:00pm Where: Fountain Square Cost: FREE Admission Cash for food and drinks: This is sort of an odd event to me, but I love oysters. Best feature: Build-your-own Bloody Mary Bar. For more info: Oyster Fest
- The Cincinnati Bell/WEBN Fireworks When: Sunday Sept 5 Where: Sawyer Point Cost: FREE: Okay, if you don't know what these are you either just moved to Cincinnati yesterday and haven't spoken to anyone and/or turned on the radio/tv, or you are so stuck in suburbs you've forgotten. I look forward to these every year. Plan to be on the Ohio side screaming louder than Kentucky Sunday night. Zero hour is 9:05 pm. For more info: Fireworks
- THE Cincinnati Beer Fest When: Friday Sept 10- Sunday Sept 12 Where: Fountain Square Cost: FREE admission, 3oz beer tastings for $1!!: It is no secret that collectively, Cincinnati folks love to drink. Bring it on! Look forward to over 200 beer flavors from brands including Sam Adams, Great Lakes, Belles, Christian Moerlein, Woodchuck Cider, and about 30 others, live music, and more. This event is in conjunction with Greater Cincinnati Restaurant week (Sept 13-19) For more info: Beer Fest
- UC Bearcats vs. Indiana State Sycamores When: Saturday Sept 11 @ noon Where: UC's Nippert Stadium Cost: Tickets vary, see Bearcat Tickets for pricing.: LETS GO CATS! Cincinnati sports are on fire and college football is one of them! If you have never experienced a Bearcat game, you are seriously missing out.
- Oktoberfest When: Saturday Sept 18- Sunday Sept 19 Where: Fountain Square, Fifth and Vine Cost: FREE admission, bring cash for German treats and brews: Again, if you haven't heard of Oktoberfest.... Whatever, see ya there. For more info: Oktoberfest
- UC Bearcats vs. Oklahoma When: Saturday Sept 25 Where: Paul Brown Stadium Cost: Tickets vary. This one is downtown!! That means no cabs for 4nP! For ticket info: www.catstix.com
- CincyChic and LOL's Bras with Flair on the Square When: Friday Oct 1 Where: Fountain Square, after party at Tonic on 4th. Cost: Tickets: $15 Now, I know this event isn't until October, but you have to turn your bra in by September 24. Get a group of friends together and submit a bra to benefit Susan G. Komen for the Cure. The event is a full day of bra display, a fashion show, cocktail hour, and auction! This is a really fun way to participate in a charity event, and if you're anything like me, its a pretty huge bonus that a 5k run isn't involved. For more info: Bras with Flair
For more downtown events in September, check out:
Fountain Square's Event calender
Metromix Cincinnati's Event calender
CincyChic's Event Calender